Monday, April 16, 2012

dearest blog.

its been too long, again.  

we recently watched midnight in paris.  one of the lines struck me:  “nostalgia is denial — denial of the painful present.  the name for this denial is Golden Age thinking: the erroneous notion that a different time period is better than the one [that] one’s living in. it’s a flaw in the romantic imagination of those people who find it difficult to cope with the present.”

i dont have a particular problem coping with what is the present.  in fact, in no other time than the present do i seem more able to accomplish things.  i can order pizza online. even speak to a bank representative via an IM chat.  i can order a mattress, or a book, even groceries!  when i need it most, technology is there to help me cope with my present.  when i am at my weakest, technology can deliver most things to me, without the anxiety of human interaction.

oh. the humanity!  please re-read that last line.  
(okay its true. NashDee really is my best friend simply because hes not a human)  
that i struggle sometimes with this anxiety is perhaps why i long for another "golden age"

for me - it would be the edwardian era. i do love me some victorian romances, though. ive just been watching larkrise to candleford.  and ive been crying.  i just love it! 
but i think,  since all i watch or read can really be found in the "romance" section of the library, i best not try and make that time machine yet.  

romance is just that.  romance. an idealized vision of time or place.  and i probably wouldnt fare too well without google. or amazon. 

and without technology, i never would have met nathan.  and live out my own true romance with him. 


(so many snide remarks i want to make in response to my own writing)
("your  mom had a true romance")
(i couldnt help myself. im just not that romantic in real life!)

1 comment:

Kaitlynn Bluth said...

awww. and I was just about to say... "that was romantic...." :) all in all, I did like that movie btw. The music was great and it was really pretty. I wish I knew more about those famous authors though.