Friday, May 18, 2012

second story love

when i was ten, we moved to a new house - the churchill house as we call it.  i was, to put it mildly, upset about the move.  our previous home had been on a cul-de-sac, with 15 other kids just on our street. not to mention the kids who lived on the street over that we would sometimes see.  it was a veritable childrens paradise.  
the one thing that made me happy about our move was the fact that our new house had stairs!  all ten year olds want stairs.  not only that, but my second story bedroom had a window seat that looked over our new street.

even at ten, i was a romantic.  i envisioned the boys that would come to my house and throw rocks at my window.

oh the romance!

i had an imagination.  a wonderful and romantic imagination.  the boy would throw the rock. and i, sleeping in my beautiful four poster bed (yet another plus to moving into our new house), would rise and walk to my window seat.  opening the window, id play demure.  but by the end of the day dream, i was basically engaged to that rock throwing boy.

as i got older, my daydreams evolved. and that rock throwing boy would ask me to sneak out.  i had planned many ways of jumping from my second story perch to the waiting car below.  it was a convertible.  and i was going to have my hair flowing behind me as we zoomed away from my oppressive parents 
(you know the ones ... the ones who never gave me a curfew. so oppressive).  

alas.  in the eight or so years we lived in churchill, not a single rock was ever thrown at my window.  what a tragedy.

tonight, after a small disagreement, nathan had to run to the store.  as he pulled out of the driveway, he beeped his horn.  i stepped out on to our second story balcony and he professed his love for me.  

maybe its nearly 20 years later. and maybe it was a horn and not a rock that grabbed my attention.  

but it sure was romantic.
(no snide remarks tonight)

2 comments:

Kaitlynn Bluth said...

I don't have to tell you how much I love this post. you already know.

side note: while Jordan and I were dating, I mentioned my own version of the "break out" date and how it had never happened (probably due to my goody two shoes-ness). Nevertheless, after saying goodbye one early morning (2 or 3 am), a knock at my window rectified the situation. I was on the ground floor, but he helped me climb out the window anyway, he drove me around the block, and promptly returned me. :) How romantic.

DeeBoyzMomma said...

Best. Post. Ever.